Breastfeeding, while a natural extension of the mother/baby relationship after pregnancy, can create real challenges for the early postpartum period. We know how important breastfeeding is for mothers and children; it is crucial to get things off to a good start so you are comfortable and healthy while making plenty of milk for your newborn.
The fee for Breastfeeding Preparation is $95 per couple (expectant parents or expectant parent plus one support person). Please check out the Calendar of Classes for upcoming availability.
In a single group session, this class will cover:
- Benefits for mom and baby
- The body’s preparation for lactation
- Initiation of breastfeeding
- Establishing adequate milk supply
- Feeding in the early weeks
- Hunger signs/following baby’s cues
- Proper latching
- How to know your baby is getting enough
- Breastfeeding multiples
- Best practices for nursing and how to avoid/deal with common issues (engorgement, thrush, plugged ducts, mastitis, etc.)
- Pumping and introduction of proper bottle feeding
- Medications/diet/alcohol/caffeine and breastfeeding
In breastfeeding, common problems or smaller issues can snowball into a more serious concern. Arming yourself with information in advance of your baby’s birth can help you navigate this process with confidence.
Register for Classes
Breastfeeding Preparation is also available as a single private in-home session.